Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Frittata Dreams. Frittata Daydreams.

As I lay in bed this morning, already unable to sleep for several hours (jet lag), my thoughts went, as they often do, to the contents of my fridge. Though I knew there was little in there, I do fancy myself somewhat skilled at the "clean out the fridge" dish creations, and my thoughts turned to what to do with the eggs. Long story short, a fritatta was born... one that was very much enjoyed earlier this morning. But it is not this fritatta that is the star of my tale, but rather an altogether different, more refined and delicate creature. What I cooked this morning was one thing (tomatoes, feta, herbes de provence). But what I was dreaming of was another.  It is the fritatta of my foodie daydreams and those moments when we epicurians ponder, mentally taste, and concoct in our heads, the ultimate object of tastebud desire. I had to create this sexy beast in the way a writer creates a character, and this I did...



Now I know everyone is in resolution mode at the beginning of the year and is probably scouring the internet for the leanest, low calorie menu items available (admittedly I have also been cooking up a healthy storm), but really, isn't part of being good to yourself knowing when to let go of the reigns once in a while? So go ahead and cosy up this weekend and reward all that good behavior so far - it's way too cold to leave the house anyway - and enjoy a little idle morning time with this delicious dish for breakfast or brunch.

Ham, Leek and Camembert Frittata with Thyme and Tarragon

Ingredients:

• 1 tablespoon of butter
• 6 Eggs
• 1/4 cup of cream
• 1/4 raclette cheese (or a very mild gruyere), shredded
• 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
• 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
• 1 large or 2 small leeks, light part only, sliced very thinly.
• 3 slices smoked ham, diced
• Handful of crimini mushrooms sliced very thinly
• About 1.5 oz of super gooey camembert or brie. Don't mess around - go double or triple cream.

To serve: some lightly dressed greens.

Method:


1. Melt the butter and sauté the leek, about 3 minutes. Add the ham and sauté until lightly browned, followed by the mushrooms. Set aside and allow to cool slightly.
2. Meanwhile, beat the eggs with cream, cheese and herbs, and season with salt and pepper.
3. Cut the camembert into cubes as well as you can... it's should be pretty gooey, but doable.
4. Heat up a small pan to medium hight heat and pour in the egg mixture. Add the leek, ham and mushrooms and stir slightly for even distribution.
5. Evenly place the camembert throughout.
6. Cook for 4-5 minutes until the bottom is set and the top is slightly bubbling.
7. Place under the broiler until the top is set, roughly 5 minutes.


And if you do insist on keeping to the straight and narrow, all is not lost. Go ahead and take out most of the egg yolks (I would keep one at least!), substitute milk for the cream, and some goat cheese for the camembert.

This feeds about 4-6 morning risers or brunches.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment